A Battle in Bradford

Campion FC v Pilkington FC

NWCFL Division 1 North

Saturday 6th November 2021

3pm kick off


A Battle in Bradford

Pilkington FC looked to carry on their good form from their 3-2 victory over Garstang last time out.  In their way – Campion AFC, who themselves are in terrific form. The game kicked off and the weather had taken a turn for the worst. Pouring rain accompanied by a cross wind meant the lads would have to dig in to get a result. A gritty start showed how bad the conditions were – no team could gain control and get the ball down. However, the 11th minute brought the first goal of the game from Phil Marsh. A brilliant cross from Adam Howard allowed Marsh to see the ball home. Although the greens by no means had the game under control, this game was going right to the death. Pilk’s created more chances through Danny Bate who took a shot from distance, but the effort was saved by Campion keeper – Bradley Emmerson. Campion got back into the game with an equaliser after 23 minutes. An absolute howler of a mistake by Andrew Heal as he slipped across his line after collecting the ball from a corner.

Half Time was massively needed for the Green Army, the boys needed to show great character and team spirit in the second half to pull through.

The second half kicked off and although the rain had stopped for a short while – the pitch was a mud bath. The lads had to face the music and get on with it. Campion created countless chances in the second half through Nicky Boshell and Daniel Keane – however none could get past Andy Heal. Pilk’s brought on the first pair of fresh legs just after the 60-minute mark as Kieran Curtis replaced Adam Neill on the left wing. Pilk’s became more frustrated in the second 45 with the number of chances that couldn’t be put to bed. Pilk’s forward, Callum Laird was played though one on one with the keeper by Phil Marsh, but his shot was once again saved brilliantly. The 2nd and final substitution was used by Pilk’s on 70 minutes, as Phil Marsh left the field for the returning Danny Greene, who was sent straight up-front to aid Laird. Greene instantly made an impact – creating multiple chances. The last 5 minutes of the game was crucial. Pilk’s went all out, a corner whipped in from Marcus Giglio was met by Gaz Kenny, but unfortunately his header just whistled wide of the far post, an agonisingly close chance that would have put the game to bed. The best chance came in the last minute, a bobbling ball found its way to Danny Greene, who cut back onto his left foot but was again saved by Emmerson.

The full-time whistle saw Pilk’s drop a massive 2 points, the lads definitely felt it was like a loss. Assistant manager, Ste Tickle said “We showed great class today in those conditions”, whilst the gaffer, David Tickle said “it’s an important point away from home”. It’s fair to say there were plenty of positives to take away from the game – given the terrible conditions.

Up The Pilks

Starting XI:

1.Andrew Heal

2.Chrisopher Cottington

3.Adam Howard

4.Marcus Giglio

5.Dean Curtis

6.Garry Kenny (C)

7.Adam Neill (12.Kieran Curtis ‘60’)

8.Daniel Bate

9.Callum Laird

10.Wade Rutherford

11.Phil Marsh (15.Daniel Greene ‘70’)

Unused Substitutes: 14.Paul Watson