Altrincham ruthlessly dispatch Pilks

Pilkington FC 0-4 Altrincham FC Reserves
Saturday 24th November 2018, Cheshire League Premier Division

Pilks were ruthlessly put to the sword by title rivals Altrincham Reserves but the 4-0 scoreline was in the balance for the majority of the game.

The opponents showed some real technical quality throughout the game which in many ways limited Pilks style of play. Within minutes they forced a great save from young Sam Tickle and five minutes later it took another good stop to keep the game level.

Pilks themselves had a few chances to take the lead. Matty Taylor’s mazy run forced a good save that led to a goalmouth scramble and after great work from Luke Sephton, Ben Maddock’s shot just went over.

The game was of a high quality, no more so than for Altrincham’s opening goal on 15 minutes. Some quality tight play down the right hand side freed the winger to play a deep cross for Wigan Schoolboy Neil Monaghan to brilliantly head the ball into the top corner.

Not deterred Pilks continued to play and would have had their rewards only for the class of the Altrincham keeper. Mason Ryan had his effort well saved when it was flying into the top corner and then somehow the keeper got to Taylor’s shot after a great flick and turn.

The moment of the half fell to Taylor when his pressure forced a defensive mistake and he found himself with only the keeper to beat but unfortunately he stabbed it wide.

Half-time: Pilkington FC 0-1 Altrincham FC Reserves

So Pilks went into the second half behind when really they should have been at least level if not ahead. The opening quarter of the second half was very much similar to the first, with both sides tactically cancelling each other out.

This all changed on the 70th minute when a clear decision by the Assistant referee was not made and this led to Altrincham being in the Pilks penalty box. The forward’s quick feet outfoxed Graham Boylan and his tackle led to a penalty that was dispatched easily.

Five minutes later there was a foul by the Altrincham left back which led to a fracas and both the full-back and Pilk’s Adam Dixon were sent off. A skirmish between the two as they left the field further interrupted the game.

This seemed to effectively kill the game for Pilks as Altrincham mercilessly completed the win with two further outstanding finishes.

This was a tough one for Pilks to take after being in the game for so long but ultimately the opposition’s quality showed through in the end. They need to pick themselves up as they travel to local rivals Billinge next Saturday – another team with title ambitions.

Full-time: Pilkington FC 0-4 Altrincham FC Reserves

Managers’ Comments:
“It’s disappointing that we didn’t get anything out of the game after being in it for so long. We need to bounce back next week in the local derby.”

MOM: Nathan Moore